Are You Blind? Digging Out Cliches in Your Manuscript

Recently, I posted some great resources to help you find overused words and phrases. But what if your manuscript is riddled with cliches? As writers, it's easy for our eyes to skip over them in our own work in progress. We're blind to them.

What's wrong with cliches? They're expected. Predictable. Readers (unconsciously) skip over them. And the last thing an author wants to do is encourage readers to skim.

Fresh writing is far better. It engages your readers. Makes them wonder what you're going to say next. Like the author of The Book Thief. His writing is fresh and unpredictable (see this post for more). Read further about avoiding and altering cliches in this article from Writer's Web.

One way to find the cliches you've used is to join a critique group. Several sets of eyes going over your writing will likely highlight most of the cliches you use. Don't stress about cliches in your first draft. Just get the story down. There will be plenty of time later to yank out the cliches.

And here's a great tool to help you do that: The Cliche Finder. Like the overused word finder mentioned above, writers just copy and paste a section of writing in the box, click the "find cliches" button, and any cliches will be highlighted in seconds. If you want to check it out, click the link, and you'll see a sample passage ready for you to try it on.

So don't worry about blindly inserting cliches. There are ways to yank them out. Do you have other ways to avoid cliches?

9 comments:

  1. In the past, I have relied on reading a piece out loud to help me identify cliches. I can hear them sometimes better than read them. I'll add The Cliche Finder to my toolbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading aloud is a great idea. A lot of computers now have a programme that will read aloud for you (hearing in a slightly distorted monotone helps, for some reason). It's less likely to be as blind as if you were reading it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both had the same idea! I'm excited to be getting a Kindle soon, and apparently you can set it to read aloud. If I email a .pdf of my manuscript to my Kindle address, I can have it "read" to me. I plan on trying it.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read about your Kindle experience. I have so many gadgets and "to read" books on my shelf, I've resisted a reader so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the Kindle software on my computer, and I've collected more than 60 books (for free) that I'd like to read. I just don't enjoy reading on my laptop screen. I think of it as research for writing.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this! I am queen of cliches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so easy to write them, and so difficult to spot them!

    Looking forward to the new focus on your blog!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cliche finder - what a fabulous tool! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you like it! It amazes me the tools people share on the internet. Very helpful!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails